In order to complete your purchase of an apartment or villa in Turkey, there are a number of steps and processes that need to be completed in Turkish and in Turkey. So unless you are fluent in Turkish and live in Turkey – we recommend granting power of attorney to make your purchase smooth, easy, and risk free.
We can advise you team of experienced solicitors to help and assist you about real estate laws and buying property in Turkey.
The average cost of a solicitors services in Turkey are not as much as Europe. Using a solicitor will ensure your property purchase does not run into trouble – the solicitor will check things such whether or not there are any outstanding charges against the property, whether the current owner is selling fair, and other checks to ensure safe transfer of the property to your name.
We recommend you to grant full power of attorney to the solicitor in order to complete the property purchase on your behalf. This saves you a lot of time and endless trips back and forth to Turkey.
If you provide the solicitor with power of attorney, the solicitor will check the following:
- The solicitor will ensure that the title is clean, and check for any charges against the title and proper Habitation Certificate).
- The solicitor will draft, finalise, and sign the approved property purchase contract on your behalf, saving you time.
- Will apply for military clearance before the title of the home can be registered in your name.
- Convert the title to your name and finalise all of the property purchase at the local title deed office on your behalf.
- The solicitor will help you buy, sell, or rent out your Turkish home.
- Manage your home for rental and holiday lets if required
- Conduct bank transactions on your behalf
- Make investments on your behalf
- Take care of tax
- Make legal claims or conduct litigation on your behalf
We always advise you to use a solicitor in Turkey when buying a home in Turkey. The simple reason being – it saves you a ton of time, and makes your purchase process smooth and stress free.
Before you grant power of attorney to a solicitor, a document will be drafted which will state exactly what the solicitor can and can’t do on your behalf. You are free to allow the solicitor as much freedom or little as you want. We advise that before you appoint a solicitor, you should check that the solicitor is a member of the local Lawyer’s Barr Association.
In order to grant power of attorney, you will need to complete certain legal documents that need to be notarised to be used legally in Turkey. This can be done either in Turkey or in your home country at the local Turkish consulate. The documents also need to be translated into Turkish and English and notarised.
If you want, you can revoke power of attorney at any time. All you need to do is to contact a notary or Turkish consulate and send a written notice to your chosen solicitor with the information that the power of attorney has been revoked. Make sure that you request that all copies of the original document are returned to you and contact your bank to let them know that the document has been revoked and no longer in use.
As you can see, hiring a solicitor and giving power of attorney to complete the real estate purchase on your behalf really is a good idea.